A quick, easy and healthy stir fry
Stir fries are the ultimate in quick, easy and healthy food, and we enjoy them at least once a week, kids included.
Our Thai pork stir fry is unbelievably easy and super-healthy; using minced pork means no chopping, and it’s a remarkably budget-friendly option: even organic minced pork won’t break the bank (and you’ll benefit from a little beneficial Omega 3 in the meat if your pork is organic and pasture-fed).
We serve the pork on steamed rice, or noodles, together with a side of stir fried vegetables: shiitake or enoki mushrooms (for their immune-supportive properties), a green leaf such as pak choi, choy sum, kale, greens, chard or even tenderstem broccoli (to get a little brassica and detox boost) and red pepper or yellow courgette for the important phytonutrients including Vitamin C found in rainbow coloured vegetables.
The lemongrass in the recipe contains really beneficial essential oils and flavonoids, helping to protect our cells from damage. We use fresh lemongrass but jars of lemongrass would work equally well.
Fish sauce is a fermented food, helping to support gut health and containing amino acids as well as trace amounts of nutrients; in many ways it’s a healthier option than soy, and it gives that little extra ‘zing’ to the dish.
Top the stirfry with liberal scatterings of detoxifying coriander to really max out on health benefits.
We hope you enjoy this blog post, let us know your thoughts in the comments below or on social media – we’re on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. And don’t forget to sign up to our newsletter to receive a monthly update of our recipes, nutrition tips and expert advice.
- 2 stems lemon grass or 2 tsp from a jar
- 200 g minced pork
- 1.5 tbsp fish sauce
- 6 large shiitake mushrooms or other mushroom, sliced
- 0.5 red pepper chopped
- 1 dsp coconut oil or sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 cm ginger root grated
- 1 shallot or small red onion, chopped
- 2 heads pak choi sliced, or chard, kale, greens
- Heat the coconut oil in a large wok and saute the onion
- Add the minced pork and stir quickly until no pink remains
- Add the lemon grass, garlic and ginger and stirfry for another minute
- Add the mushrooms and pepper and stirfry for another couple of minutes before adding the pak choi
- Add the fish sauce, stirfry for one last minute and serve with steamed rice or rice noodles