a healthy banana bread recipe
We don’t make cakes too often, but when we do, our banana bread is a firm favourite.
It’s sweet – from the bananas but the fibre and fats from the seeds, nuts, butter and wholegrain flour used means there isn’t a massive sugar hit from this tasty cake.
We’ve been known to eat our banana bread for breakfast (although there are better options in our breakfast category!), but this really comes into it’s own as a mid-afternoon snack. If you can find spelt flour, take advantage of it – it has a different and lower gluten content than wheat, and contains lower phytates – in short this means that many people who don’t tolerate wheat well, can tolerate spelt.
The cake does contain some sugar in the form of molasses; molasses sugar contains the ‘good stuff’ left over when sugar is refined into its’ white version – and is particulary rich in minerals such as iron. It’s sticky and will clump together, so bash it a bit before you add it to the recipe.
Chia seeds are the highest plant source of essential omega 3 fats (and are also great for binding cakes, rather like eggs) so we like to use them at every opportunity. If pecans aren’t your thing, feel free to subsitute walnuts, chopped brazils – or even omit altogether – but adding a little protein is always a good idea as it helps to balance blood sugar levels
We hope you enjoy this blog post, let us know your thoughts in the comments below or on social media – we’re on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. And don’t forget to sign up to our newsletter to receive a monthly update of our recipes, nutrition tips and expert advice.
- 2 cups spelt flour or other wholegrain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 5 small bananas mashed
- 0.5 cups molasses sugar
- 2 eggs large
- 2 tbsp chia seeds optional, or flaxseeds - whole or ground
- 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 0.5 cup pecans chopped, optional
- Tizanidine price walmart
- Lowest price propranolol
- Jalyn price per pill
- Buy actonel online without prescription
- Oxytrol for women where to buy
- Buy cephalexin with prescription
- How to buy namenda
- Can i buy biaxin
- Low price combivir
- Purchase requip
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl, and add all other ingredients, mixing well
- Line the base of a loaf tin with greaseproof paper, and grease the sides with a little butter before tipping the mixture
- Flatten the top with a knife, using a little water if need be to get a smooth finish
- Put in oven and cook for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean - covering with greaseproof paper or foil halfway through to prevent over-browning
- Leave to cool on a wire rack